Folk singer Jasmine Rodgers has the kind of voice that is tailor-made for storytelling songs. Her debut album Blood Red Sun is a showcase of fingerpicking guitar, soft-spoken cello, and double tracking with just a hint of echo. Her forays into alt-country (Between Spaces, Sense) could gain some fans in the Deep South of the States, but as a whole Blood Red Sun has written "Made in the UK" all over it. Follow You and Underwater would have fitted on a Sandy Denny or early Tori Amos album.
Rodgers has a knack for choosing her notes carefully. Timing and phrasing are essential within her genre and she gets an A+ for both, with the gentle solo track While You Were Sleeping as the standout example. Her rock star father and poet mum can be proud. Can somebody wake up the A&R people of a niche label to get her to the next level?
Jasmine Rodgers: vocals, guitar
John Hogg: backing vocals, bass and mandola
Dan Kavanagh: drums and percussion
Charlie Morton: drums and percussion
Danny Keane: cello
Blood Red Sun is a self-released album. Release date: October 28.Tracks:
- Blood Red Sun
- Let It Burn
- Follow You
- Between Spaces
- Milky Way
- Shaping Up
- While You Were Sleeping
She will be supporting her dad's band Bad Company in October.Live dates:
- 09/10 Nottingham, UK @ New Art Exchange
- 10/15 Leeds, UK @ Leeds First Direct Arena (Bad Company)
- 10/17 Cardiff, UK @ Cardiff Motorpoint Arena (Bad Company)
- 10/19 Nottingham, UK @ Nottingham Motorpoint Arena (Bad Company)
- 10/21 Birmingham. UK @ Birmingham Genting Arena (Bad Company)
- 11/24 London, UK @ Olympic Studios Music Room
HCTF review of Follow You.