Leading lady Laura Burhenn of indie pop project The Mynabirds travelled the world as a temporary member of the Postal Service. Gathering bits and pieces she slowly assembled the tracks for the new album Lovers Know, a soft-spoken roadtrip about travel, her fears and doubts, and the universe in general. Produced by Bradley Hanan Carter of Black English she uses plenty of old school electronics, alternating between mainstream melodies and adventurous trip-hop backings.
Burhenn shook her head (and sometimes fists) at the world on her previous album Generals. On Lovers Know she is more concerned about her immediate surroundings. She discovered plenty while looking in and is eager to share it, but listeners will have to try harder to follow her train of thoughts. Recommended if you like St Vincent.
Lovers Know is released thru Saddle Creek.
- All My Heart
- Say Something
- Shake Your Head Yes
- One Foot
- Hanged Man
- Last Time
- 08/20 Santa Monica, CA @ Santa Monica Pier (w/ Ariel Pink)
- 09/02 San Diego, CA @ Soda Bar
- 09/10 Seattle, WA @ Sunset Tavern (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/11 Portland, OR @ Bunk Bar (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/12 Boise, ID @ Neurolux (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/14 Salt Lake City, UT @ Kilby Court (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/15 Denver, CO @ Hi-Dive (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/17 Omaha, NE @ Slowdown (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/18 Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/19 Chicago, IL @ Schubas (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/20 Cleveland, OH @ Beachland (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/23 Philadelphia, PA @ Boot & Saddle (w/ Bad Bad Hats)
- 09/25 Brooklyn, NY @ Rough Trade (w/ Bad Bad Hats & Stranger Cat)
- 09/26 Washington, DC @ U Street Music Hall (w/ Bad Bad Hats & Stranger Cat)
- 09/28 Richmond, VA @ Strange Matter
- 09/29 Atlanta, GA @ Aisle 5
- 10/01 Austin, TX @ Mohawk
- 10/02 Dallas, TX @ Three Links
- 10/05 Tucson, AZ @ Flycatcher
- 10/06 Phoenix, AZ @ Valley Bar
- 10/07 Las Vegas, NV @ Sayers Club
- 10/08 San Francisco, CA @ Swedish American Hall
- 10/09 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
HCTF review of Generals.