Tribute albums are tricky. Round up a handful of covers from well-established, throw in a few unknowns to get some street cred and come up with a niche like metal or country to tie it all together. Most of them end up in the cut-out bin, but A Psych Tribute To The Doors stands a change to pick up sales, riding the wave of the current resurgence of psychedelic rock.
Some of the covers are interesting enough to play more than once - Love Me Two Times by the Psychic Ills has a slacker flavor that will impress suburban stoners and fans of Tame Impala and Jacco Gardner, the instrumental People Are Strange by Camera is memorable its use of surf reverb, and the sitar in Elephant Stone's L.A. Woman is a nice touch.
On the downside: Dead Meadow runs The Crystal Ship into the ground with an ill-advised drone intro and Light My Fire by Wall of Death fails to ignite.
A Psych Tribute To The Doors is released on Cleopatra Records.Tracks:
- Elephant Stone – L.A. Woman
- The Black Angels – Soul Kitchen
- Psychic Ills – Love Me Two Times
- Dark Horses – Hello, I Love You
- Camera – People Are Strange
- Dead Meadow – The Crystal Ship
- Sons Of Hippies – The Soft Parade
- Dead Skeletons – Riders On The Storm
- Wall Of Death – Light My Fire
- Clinic – Touch Me
- VietNam – Roadhouse Blues
- Geri X – Love Her Madly
- The Raveonettes – The End