Luxemburg downtempo outfit Monophona a way to mix left field singer-songwriter vocals with pulsating electronics. Bjork comes to mind, but without the "look-mum-no-hands" hoopla. Their self-released debut album The Spy has been making the rounds since late 2012.
Spots at the bottom of the bill of major festivals like Sziget in Budapest and The Great Escape in Brighton go the word out. Monophona proofs that you don't have to speak up to be heard. A distribution deal with PIAS/Rough Trade should earn them wider recognition. Recommended if you like Portishead and Dead Can Dance.
Claudine Muno: vocals, guitars, keys
Philippe Schirrer: production, programming
Jorsch Kass: drums
- Let me go
- Give Up
- Shades of grey
- The Spy
- 04/26 Fredagsrock Festival, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 04/30 Les Trinitaires, Metz, France
- 05/31 Treibhaus, Lucerne, Switzerland
- 06/07 Koll in Action, Martelange, Belgium
- 09/20 Strossen Festival, Strassen, Luxembourg