Cut Copy bassist Ben Browning has just released Lover Motion, his first solo EP. Gus Franklin and Haima Marriott (Architecture in Helsinki) helped him out and Cut Copy's Dan Whitford was on hand to provide keyboard programming, adding an Eighties glow to the tracks.
In terms of music Browning makes the cut, but his vocals leave a lot to desire. They are rather flat, which is a blessing in disguise, because his lyrics suck. He tried really hard to come up with something meaningful and soul searching and ended up with hyperboles going nowhere. Thankfully Night Dunes and Bullet Island are instrumentals. This is the kind of clean-cut electronic pop that will be piped through the PA during a fashion show of a designer who put an intern in charge of the music, because she looked like she might in touch with the hipster dance crowd.
- I Can't Stay
- Night Dunes
- Feels Like
- Mistaken Images
- Bullet Island
- 04/27 Brooklyn, NY @ Glasslands w/ DFA's Jon Galkin (DJ Set)
- 04/28 Washington DC @ Sweetlife Festival
- 04/30 Los Angeles CA @ School Night @ Bardot
- 05/02 Los Angeles CA @ Saint Rocke
- 05/03 Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey (with Metronomy)
- 05/04 Los Angeles CA @ Central
Video: Ben Browning - I Can't Stay