Chicago soul funk band Lubriphonic have put together another set of tasty grooves and ballads. The Gig Is On is their sophomore studio release. They convinced Ivan Neville that he should play Hammond Organ and clavinet and he blended in seamlessly with the sextet. More power is brought in by trombone players Johnny Cotton and Norman Palm.
Lubriphonic are an old school band, laying down a solid groove for the soloists to stand on. Singer Giles Corey has the laid-back tone of a veteran who is totally at ease on stage, and keyboardist Andrew Toombs can turn a few notes into an event. Bu their secret weapon is drummer Rick King who can play lead and rhythm simultaneously.
Th band wrote all the songs together, adding a cover of Curtis Mayfield's If There's A Hell Below (We're All Gonna Go). Stand out tracks are the high energy opener Rhino, the neo-soul of No Blues and mid-tempo funk rocker The Gig Is On.
Giles Corey: guitar, vocals
Ron Haynes: trumpet
Rick King: drums
Charles Prophet Jr: sax
Pennal Johnson: bass
Andrew Toombs: keyboards
Johnny Cotton: trombone (1,2,3,5,8,9,12,13)
Norman Palm: trombone (4,6,7,11,14)
- Under The Line
- No Blues
- Pimp Limp
- Speed Dial
- If There's A Hell Below (We're All Gonna Go)
- Coming Together
- The Gig Is On
- The Getaway
- The Chicken is Worth More Alive Than Dead
- Pay The Man
- Dope Man
- Whatever You Do Don't Stop
- 11/11 Bear Creek Music & Arts Festival @ Spirit of the Sewannee Music Park, Live Oak, FL
- 11/12 Bear Creek Music & Arts Festival @ Spirit of the Sewannee Music Park, Live Oak, FL
- 11/13 Smith's Olde Bar (w/ Dirty Guvnahs), Atlanta, GA
- 11/19 Birdy's, Indianapolis, IN
- 11/20 Tres Hombres, Carbondale, IL
- 12/10 University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
HCTF review of Soul Solution.